The Joys of Living a Poetic Life

Poetry is a threat if there are things in your system that are very hard to face because poetry is about being open and being spiritually, mentally, and emotionally well. A poetic life may mean sacrificing material overabundance, otherwise known as clutter, but you always sacrifice something, and to us, it's worth it.

Poetry is about consciousness and the pleasures of art. Other art forms can provide a bridge to your poetic self, if there are obstacles that need to be overcome. Yoga reestablishes and retrains breathing when parts of your natural self have been suppressed by a civilization that does not find those parts supportive of its values.

25.3.12

Yoga Practice and Depression

It is a surprise to me how little I breathe, normally. It's like I've forgotten to breathe or am adapted to a biorhythic habit of scarcely breathing. When I do a gentle home yoga practice, focussing on the breath for 40 minute, however, I feel positively giddy with happiness. Now, is this the profile of a depressed person, or is it just the profile of someone who has forgotten to breathe? Whatever the reasons for slowing down of vital breathing, it's clearly not a necessary part of me.

Related to depression, however, it certainly is, and the problem is that when in the depressive state, one forgets the happy state to the point that, without a taste of it, one has no appetite to direct one to the needful thing. Translation: when I feel depressive, I don't feel any desire for the practice that will make me happy because I have no feeling memory of it. I am fortunate to have found that for me, yoga absolutely heals my depression, but once back inside it the way out cannot be felt. Therefore, I recognized that it is vital to create a bridge from depression's somber tones, to yoga's happy ones. Anything that can tempt me is a cue: a dedicated space, clothes I like, music, lotion, aromatherapy, and today some Read My Lips black tea with pink peppercorns, chocolate, peppermint, and little candy lips. I promise myself this new delight in order to get myself feeling like being on the mat. I will not listen to my mind. I am too much of a rebel.

Action Step: Think about what kinds of cues you can provide for yourself to get yourself feeling like doing the thing you need to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

WELCOME MESSAGE:

Bing, bling, bungle, bing, loop de loop, chicken coop.

Followers

Pages

Monetary Feedback Option